I get asked for this recipe all the time, and have even had to refer to it in local Indian markets from time to time. Here’s the original, with the vegan substitutions.
1 med. red onion
1.5 lbs cubed chicken breast (or tofu)
1 c hung yogurt (milk, almond, or soy)
1 pt heavy cream (coconut milk)
2 lg. tomatoes
2 T garlic ginger paste
1 T lemon juice
2 T turmeric
4 T MDH brand Tandoori BBQ Masala mix
1 T Tandoori paste
2 T salt
2 T red chili powder
2 T melted butter (coconut oil)
Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Combine cubed chicken with hung yogurt and 1 T of each of the following in a bowl: Tandoori paste, lemon juice, garlic ginger paste, red chili powder, salt, Tandoori BBQ masala mix, turmeric.
- Skewer chicken & place on cookie sheet.
- Dice onion & tomatoes.
- Put a little cooking oil & diced onion in a large frying pan. Also, place chicken in oven. After 6 minutes, add 1 T garlic ginger paste. Sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes to pan. Remove chicken from oven, rotate and baste with melted butter. Return to oven and set timer for 8 minutes. After 6 minutes, add remaining spices to the pan and stir them in.
- Remove chicken once 8 minutes are up. Add cream to frying pan and stir in thoroughly for 1 minute.
- Add chicken to frying pan and stir for 1 minute.
Best served over jasmine or basmati rice with a couple pieces of garlic naan.